Sunday, 14 August 2011

What happened to the high-poly models?

Uhh, this week has been a terribly stressful week, mostly for financial reasons buy lets just leave that at that. this week's productivity, again, it is what it is. Although, despite the amount of work that i've gotten done while I'm out here, in 3D modeling, I miss doing traditional art work. In my over-zealous packing, I didn't pack my sketchpad or any pencils or anything. My grounding skills have always been in traditional work and for me to spend so much time away from it is weird, and uncomfortable. I'll be a happy bunny to get back to paper, pencil and paint when I get back to Leicester.

In any case, the next best thing is my digi-painting and so in keeping with my weekly plan I've done a few paints.

The last two are incomplete because each was an attempt at a speed paint. One thing I've never been much good at is getting doing the general impression i want to create down, quickly, to build upon later once I've gotten the core details right. I've generally been a much better technical artist, working in finer detail and working my way round the image. This way, I hope that once i get more used to working this way, it'll help me with my life drawing skills, and maybe I'll actually get some images finished with in the time constraints before the model has to move. Learning to work a speed as well will no doubt help me when it comes to working in the industry, should I ever get a job that is based in concepting or illustration.

On the other hand my speed modeling is coming along quite nicely. This week I did one of the Geese, soon to be fattened up for christmas T_T.

This weeks result I think is much more successful than the chicken. Within the time limit the texture has turned out a lot better despite the fact that it is half the size and can be saved as a 24bit image to further reduce the size to to the lack of alpha channels. In addition, I also discovered a nice little trick for low poly models to make the model appear smooth edged instead of hard edged. In the bottom image of the goose is displayed the topology, which gives the goose quite an angular silouette. In the top image i used the "use NURSM subdivision" at 1 iteration to make the the edges of each poly, curved instead of straight, which results in the render looking smooth finished.

This week I also started on another self portrait 3d model...

Unfortunately this is as far as i got. As you can see in the left viewport image, I managed to get the hair near enough to how I wanted it, however, I completely forgot that my laptop was refusing to do hair at the moment and when I pressed F9, the image to the right is my result. The hair just didn't appear at all. Rather disappointing because now I can't fine tune the hair, but again, I am looking forward to getting back to Leicester where I can get on a decent computer to try and do some hair! but thus is my week.

Having looked briefly over my summer work one thing that is like a big smack in the face is that I've just noticed that everything that I model is low poly. Even the stuff I consider to be mid poly, in real terms, it's low poly. Just about the only model I've made worth being referred to as mid-high poly is the Matrix sentinel I made and then dismissed as being too high poly. So for this week, I'd like to add to my list of things to do, being a high poly model. I'm going to set myself a minimum triangle limit, of around 20,000 depending on what I choose to model, and see what I come out with. I can't afford to neglect my high-poly modeling too much because when I get a job, I wouldn't be surprised if for texturing, high to low poly baking was required.

No comments:

Post a Comment